[R] sparse matrix tools

Thaden, John J ThadenJohnJ at uams.edu
Sun Jul 2 14:38:21 CEST 2006

Dear R-Help list:
    I'm using the Matrix library to operate on 600 X ~5000 element
unsymmetrical sparse arrays. So far, so good, but if I find I need more
speed or functionality, how hard would it be to utilize other sparse
matrix toolsets from within R, say MUMPS, PARDISO or UMFPACK, that do
not have explicit R interfaces?  More information on these is available
here
   www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/umfpack/
   www.computational.unibas.ch/cs/scicomp/software/pardiso
   www.enseeiht.fr/lima/apo/MUMPS/
and in these reviews
   ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/reports/ghsNAGIR20051r1.pdf
   http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/codes/
neither of which reviewed the R Matrix package, unfortunately.
Thanks,
- John Thaden, Ph.D., U. Arkansas for Med. Sci., Little Rock.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any a...{{dropped}}