[R] large dataset!

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jul 2 23:05:35 CEST 2006

Jennifer,

it sounds like that's too much data for R to hold in your computer's
RAM. You should give serious consideration as to whether you need all
those data for the models that you're fitting, and if so, whether you
need to do them all at once.  If not, think about pre-processing
steps, using e.g. SQL command, to pull out the data that you need. For
example, if the data are spatial, then think about analyzing them by
patches.

Good luck,

Andrew

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 10:12:25AM -0400, JENNIFER HILL wrote:

> Hi, I need to analyze data that has 3.5 million observations and
> about 60 variables and I was planning on using R to do this but
> I can't even seem to read in the data.  It just freezes and ties
> up the whole system -- and this is on a Linux box purchased about
> 6 months ago on a dual-processor PC that was pretty much the top
> of the line.  I've tried expanding R the memory limits but it
> doesn't help.  I'll be hugely disappointed if I can't use R b/c
> I need to do build tailor-made models (multilevel and other
> complexities).   My fall-back is the SPlus big data package but
> I'd rather avoid if anyone can provide a solution....
>
> Thanks!!!!
>
> Jennifer Hill

Andrew Robinson
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-9763
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Australia         Fax: +61-3-8344-4599
Email: a.robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au         http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au