[R] macro facility in R

Michael Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 3 15:49:51 CEST 2006

Here is one user's perspective on this, with no pretense of being
definitive.  In the S (R) world, the expression "computing on the
language" is used to encompass what I would call the tasks of macro
programming.  This involves uses of various S (R) expressions that
convert between names of objects and the object themselves; pasting
together expressions out of fixed and variable text; and executing
them.  I for one have been able to do everything I could do in the SAS
macro language, but it has taken trial and error.

To get started, you might consult section 3.5 of S Programming by
Venables and Ripley.

MHP