[R] lme and SAS Proc mixed

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jul 3 20:31:06 CEST 2006

	  Your example is entirely too complicated for me to parse in the time
available, but I have a few questions that I hope might help:

	  First, have you examined str(fit.lme) plus all the other help pages
listed under "See Also" in the "lme" help page, especially "lmeObject"?
  With luck, this may answer your questions.

	  Second, are all your random effects nested, or are some crossed?  If
the model is all standard nesting with no complicated inhomogeneity of
variance or correlation structure, you may be working too hard:  The
'nlme' package is designed to make standard nested mixed-model analysis
as easily as Doug Bates could make it with a general tool in the S
language paradigm.  Functions like 'pdBlocked' are relatively
inefficient attempts to adapt the 'nlme' paradigm to support crossed
random effects, etc.  If you have both crossed and nested random
effects, you might try Bates' current project, 'lmer' associated with
the 'lme4' package.  Unfortunately, that package currently has fewer
helper functions for things like confidence intervals.  (It's Bates'
leading edge development effort.)

	  Third, can generate a much simpler, self-contained problem that
exhibits the same features as your more complicated example?  If your
email had contained a few lines of R code that someone like me could
copy and paste into R and get what you got, it would increase your
chances of getting a more informative reply quicker.  Without it, I'm
left to guessing.

	  Fourth, if you want to know, "which is more correct", have you
considered Monte Carlo?  The nlme package includes a function
simulate.lme, which might help you.  The lme4 package includes mcmcsamp.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves