[R] summary.rlm (was p-values)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 12:11:22 CEST 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Celso Barros wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> When I run rlm to obtain robust standard errors, my output does not include
> p-values. Is there any reason p-values should not be used in this case? Is
> there an argument I could use in rlm so that the output does
> include p-values?

First you would have to derive a reliable theory for the tests you want
p-values for.  The t ratios are approximately normally distributed, but to
quote realistic p-values you would need much more accurate distribtution
theory.

For summary.lm we can use Student's t distribution and say the results are
exact only under normality.  There is no analogue for summary.rlm.  Note
that S does not quote p-values for summmary.glm for similar reasons: R
does but I do not consider it to be a good idea.