[R] Editors which have strong/solid support for SWeave?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Wed Jul 5 18:42:42 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 16:05, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> On 7/5/06, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz at cnio.es> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 July 2006 10:14, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> > > Greetings!
> > >
> > > I have a few colleagues who like the idea of Sweave, but have failed
> > > to become enlightened monks of the One True Editor
> > > (http://www.dina.dk/~abraham/religion/)
> > >
> > > Are there any other Microsoft-centric editors or IDEs which have solid
> > > support for writing SWeave documents (dual R / LaTeX enhancements
> > > similar to ESS's support)?  Has anyone tried the folding editors which
> > > support Noweb?
> >
> > Dear Tony,
> >

> > I often use Leo (http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html) which
> > is like a literate editor on steroids (folding + outlining, noweb and
> > cweb support, and a _lot_ more), and I use it for all complex/long Rnw
> > documents, including interacting with R ...
> >
> > ...but I "cheat", because the editing itself (of the "nodes" or folds),
> > including submitting code to R from the R chunks, I do in emacs (with
> > ESS).
> >
> > Leo is available for Linux, Win, Mac and is written in Python.
>
> I've used Leo a few years ago, and liked it (but not enough to
> convert).  I'll have to try it again.  Thanks!

>From my Leo's usage patterns I think I'm still praying at the emacs church. I
guess my soul is saved (for now).

But I find Leo great, and I always wish I could use it more. Making it
understand R syntax for syntax highlighting seems to be relatively easy, more
so with the recent changes in Leo's code
(http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/coloring.html), and at least one other
R user who also frequents R-help, Ed Borasky, is interested in these issues
(http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1524935&forum_id=10226).

I think what would be a real blast is to have Leo understand R (and LaTeX),
more or less the way leo understands Python. For instance, when one imports a
Python file it gets broken down ("outlined") by function, method, etc. This
seems doable (e.g., http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3614539),
but I haven't yet had time to look at it. And then, Leo also offers a general
way (which I think is still only fully exploited with Python files) for
autocompletion, etc, (though this seems to be a harder problem).

Just my random ramblings.

Best,

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}