[R] install RMySQL under Mac OS X 10.4.7

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 19:00:04 CEST 2006

Hello All,

I tried to install RMySQL package, but the error
messages says there is no such package, even though I
did see RMySQL is there in the contributed package
list in all mirror sites of CRAN I tried. Not sure
what is the problem.

> mysql.home <- '/usr/local/mysql'

Sys.putenv('PKG_CPPFLAGS'=paste('-I',file.path(mysql.home,'include'),sep=''))

Sys.putenv('PKG_LIBS'=paste('-L',file.path(mysql.home,'lib'),'
-lmysqlclient',sep=''))
> install.packages('RMySQL', repos =
"http://www.biometrics.mtu.edu/CRAN/",dependencies =T)
dependency ''RMySQL'' is not available
> install.packages('RMySQL', repos =
"http://www.biometrics.mtu.edu/CRAN/")
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd,
available = available,  :
         no package 'RMySQL' at the repositories

I tried download the package manually under unix, and
install it from within R, and no luck too.

cd ~/download/R
curl -O
http://www.biometrics.mtu.edu/CRAN/src/contrib/RMySQL_0.5-7.tar.gz

> install.packages( 'RMySQL_0.5-7.tar.gz', repos =
NULL)
Error in gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open compressed file
'RMySQL_0.5-7.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION'

> sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.0 (2006-04-24)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices"
"utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

could anybody tell me what happens here, and how to
fix the problem? Thank you so much!
Weijun