[R] pvclust Error:NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 11)

Richard Birnie R.Birnie at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 15:52:38 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm new to R and I'm struggling to decipher an error message. Briefly, I am trying to use the pvclust package to do hierarchical clustering of some CGH data. The data is from the Progenetix CGH database. It is arranged as a table where each column is a single case and each row is a single chromosome band. The value in each cell is either 0, 1, 2, or -1. Corresponding to no change, gain, high level amplification, or loss respectively Based on the documentation for the pvclust package I came up with this code.

>ProgenetixCRC.all.pvclust <- pvclust(ProgenetixCRC.all, method.dist="cor", method.hclust="average",use.cor="pairwise.complete.obs",nboot=1000)

this results in the following error

Bootstrap (r = 0.5)... Error in hclust(distance, method = method.hclust) :
	NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 11)
In addition: Warning message:
the standard deviation is zero in: cor(x, y, na.method, method == "kendall"

I'm not really clear on what this means. I have searched the mailing list archive and as best I can tell this is caused by missing values in the dataset. This is confusing because my dataset does not have any missing values. The only thing I can think of is that the function is treating 0 as a missing value. Is this the case and if so what is the best way to handle this?

I also found something about using 'traceback()' to trace failed function calls, so I tried that, the output means little to me but here it is.

>traceback()
4: hclust(distance, method = method.hclust)
3: FUN(X[[1]], ...)
2: lapply(r, boot.hclust, data = data, object.hclust = data.hclust,
       nboot = nboot, method.dist = method.dist, use.cor = use.cor,
       method.hclust = method.hclust, store = store)
1: pvclust(ProgenetixCRC.all, method.dist = "cor", method.hclust = "average",
       use.cor = "pairwise.complete.obs", nboot = 1000)

and my session info
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.2.1, 2005-12-20, i686-redhat-linux-gnu

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
pvclust
"1.1-0"

Can someone please advise how to handle this. If any more info is needed just tell me what commands.
regards,
Richard
Dr Richard Birnie
Scientific Officer