[R] denominator degrees of freedom and F-values in nlme

M R Robinson matthew.r.robinson at ed.ac.uk
Sun Jul 9 00:41:51 CEST 2006

Hello,

I am struggling to understand how denominator degrees of freedom and
subsequent significance testing based upon them works in nlme models.

I have a data set of 736 measurements (weight), taken within 3
different age groups, on 497 individuals who fall into two
morphological catagories (horn types).

My model is:  Y ~ weight + horn type / age group, random=~1|individual

I am modeling this using glmm.PQL function with family=neg.bin
(negative binomial distribution, estimating theta based upon a glm
without individual as a random effect). My data set will not be
balanced, with varying numbers of measurements taken on different
individuals and some individuals have no weight measures just a
morphological type.

My output:
              denDF    numberdf
Intercept     495
weight        232       1
horn type     495       1
horn type:age 232       4

So my question is where do these denDF come from and how are they
calculated? I wish to then test significane of these fixed effects and
can get F-ratio's and P-values but are these appropriate?

Thank-you for your time.
Kind regards
Matthew

Matt Robinson