[R] string problems with "\\" (Windows)

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Sun Jul 9 18:54:41 CEST 2006

Greetings, R-ians:

I'm using R 2.3.1 on WindowsXP.

I need to find the name of a file at the end of a sting that contains the
path + file, with the problematic "\\" as separators.

The string looks something like this:

"C:\\Documents and Settings\\myName\\My Documents\\R
Projects\\Project1\\file.name.csv"

What I want is "file.name.csv"

Currently I use the name of the project as the splitter in

strsplit(string.name, split="Project1", extended = FALSE)

This works, of course, but I won't always be using folder Project1, so I
need a more universal way to find the name of a file at the end of a string
with "\\" separators.

Can I get there from here?  (I've looked through previous R-help listing of
similar problems but if it's there, I missed it.)

Thanks.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com