[R] Choice of repository and outdated vs unusable... was (Hunting for snow...)

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Sun Jul 9 20:35:17 CEST 2006

Uwe Ligges wrote:
>>> Where did you find them? At least not in their current versions on
>>> the official repository on CRAN master for R-2.3.x, I hope.
>>
>> FracSim_0.2.zip
>> http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/
>>
>> RDCOMClient_0.91-0.zip
>> http://www.omegahat.org/R/bin/windows/contrib/R-2.3.0/
>>
>> segmented_0.1-4.zip
>> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.1/
>>
>> VGAM_0.6-9.zip
>> http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~yee/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/
>
> None of them is on CRAN master:
>
> - RDCOMClient is on Omegahat
> - segmented is CRAN but outdated for R-2.1.x
> - VGAM is in a private repository
> - FracSim: I cannot access
> http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/
> right now, but I guess it does not sync properly. At least, the package
> should not be there.
>
> Uwe Ligges

Uwe:

So VGAM and RDCOMClient are on private repository sites. Is that so
important? If a package is not on the CRAN master site are you supposed to
avoid using it?

The FracSim home site indicated that 0.2 was the current version and a
google search yielded the site I indicated, among others, as a repository
of an apparent windows edition. That it's not on the master is more an
issue between the maintainers of the master and the maintainers of the
package, not the average end user IMHO. I found a source for what is
apparently the current edition. What's wrong with that?

With regard to segmented, outdated does not mean unusable unless later
editions of R or packages that call it as a dependency use features
particular to later editions. If there is a newer windows edition of
segmented then please point out a source for it.

Regards...
--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0627-3, 2006-07-07
Tested on: 2006-07-09 14:35:21