[R] Proportional Hazard Function and Competing risks

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Jul 11 17:21:50 CEST 2006

Hi,

If you are interested in building regression models for the sub-distribution
functions (or cumulative incidence function), then you may want to look at
the "cmprsk" package by Gray.  It is based on the article: Fine and Gray
(JASA 1999).  There is also the approach based on multi-state models (see
the work of the Danish group led by Andersen) for modeling state
probabilities.

If you are interested only in the cause-specific hazard models, then you
don't need anything other than the standard Cox relative risk model or
something like that, where events from other causes are simply treated as
censoring.

If, however, you are interested in the net hazard or net probabilities, then
you enter the dangerous and highly controversial realm of the "classical"
competing risk problem.  You have to overcome a lot of conceptual,
philosophical, and statistical (e.g. identifiability) issues, before
attempting to model it using latent failure time models.  For a cogent
critique of this approach, see Prentice et al. (Biometrics 1978).  Crowder's
(2001) book presents a somewhat more pragmatic view of the classical
competing risks problem.

Hope this helps,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,  The Center on Aging and Health
Johns Hopkins University
Ph: (410) 502-2619
Fax: (410) 614-9625
Email:  rvaradhan at jhmi.edu