[R] use of NULL environment is deprecated?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 12 00:41:11 CEST 2006

On 7/11/2006 6:27 PM, Patrick Connolly wrote:
> ]> version
>                _
> platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> arch           x86_64
> os             linux-gnu
> system         x86_64, linux-gnu
> status
> major          2
> minor          3.1
> year           2006
> month          06
> day            01
> svn rev        38247
> language       R
> version.string Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
>

> I see in the NEWS file the line:
>     o	Use of NULL as an environment is deprecated and gives a warning.
>
> Which duly happens.  I get warnings like this:
>> Warning message:
> use of NULL environment is deprecated
>
> My problem is that I don't know what is being referred to.  A little
> birdie tells me that in later versions of R, those warnings will
> become errors so I need to work out where they're coming from before I
> can use later versions.
>
> My question is: How does one work out which is being referred to by
> such a message?  The traceback() function is useful when failure
> occurs.  Is there an analagous way of looking into warnings?

options(warn=2) will convert warnings into errors, so traceback will work.

A common situation where I've seen that error is with binary saves from
earlier versions of R being loaded into current versions.  For example,
if you installed a package before, but didn't re-install it with 2.3.1,
or if you are reloading a workspace saved in an earlier version.

Duncan Murdoch