[R] VERY TINY question: missing function to clear the console?

Jan T. Kim jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 13:15:55 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:47:09PM +0200, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for presentation purposes I would like to clear to whole console
> window (like in a UNIX terminal: 'clear').
>
> Is there such a function?
>
> If not, I could image that is not too hard to write such a function.

At the risk of this being a stupid answer: An easy way would be

    system("clear");

This should work under unixes that provide the "clear" command, don't know
about windows.

If there is no "clear screen" function in R (I haven't seriously looked
for one), I think one of the reasons for that might be that writing that
in a multi-platform portable way is actually a somewhat more laborious
thing to do than it seems.

Best regards, Jan
 |             email: jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |             WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |