[R] Problem installing local additional packages of Rcmdr (WinXP)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Jul 13 20:47:20 CEST 2006

Kenneth Cabrera wrote:
> Hi R users:
>
> I download the .zip files and also PACKAGES and PACKAGES.gz files
> in a local directory, but when I call
>
> library(Rcmdr)
>
> It shows me a tcl/tk windows telling me to install the additional
> packages, the it takes me to another window where I must specify
> the path where the .zip files are located.
> I do it, but I obtain the following message:

> Erro en gzfile(file, "r") : no fue posible abrir la conexión
>
> Versión del Rcmdr 1.1-7
>

> And the Rcmdr frame opens but without installing the additional
> packages. I am sure I download the required packages and the
> PACKAGES and PACKAGES.gz files.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You do not need PACKAGES and PACKAGES.gz, but you should install all
required packages (incuding package "car" - "Rcmdr" depends on it)
correctly. Looks like your "car" installation is broken. Simply
reinstall it.
This can be done using the Windows GUI or with install.packages(). How
to install a local zip file is explained in ?install.packages.
Be sure you have downloaded a binary version of the package for Windows
for R-2.3.x.

Uwe Ligges