[R] Prediction interval of Y using BMA

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Jul 16 06:23:27 CEST 2006

	  From what I've heard, the primary reason for using Bayesian Model
Averaging (BMA) is to get better predictions, both better point
estimates and better estimates of the uncertainties.  I could not find a
function to compute that.

	  However, if you've got point estimates of predictions, I can give you
a formula for the variance of the prediction error:

	  var(Y|x) = var(E(Y|x,i)over i)+E(var(Y|x,i)over i),

where Y is the response variable, and 'i' indicates which model.  This
is a companion to the formula for the predictions:

	  E(Y|x) = E(E(Y|x,i)over i).

	  If you've got a function to compute E(Y|x,i) and compute their
expectation over i, it should not be too difficult to modify that
function to also compute var(Y|x,i) and then to compute both
E(var(Y|x,i)over i) and var(E(Y|x,i)over i).  Then if distributions are
roughly normal, you've got what you need.

	  Does this make sense?
	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves
p.s.  I've copied the maintainer for the BMA package on this email.  I
hope he will correct any misstatement in these comments and update us on
any relevant capabilities we may have missed.