[R] sem question

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jul 17 02:28:33 CEST 2006

MODEL UNDERIDENTIFIED?

	  I've looked at 'sem' for many years but never found that application
that seemed to me to require that machinery.  However, I know that it's
very easy to get models that are "underidentified."  One of the simplest
cases is the classical "errors in x regression" problem:

Observe:
	  X = xi + e.x, e.x~N(0, s2.x)
	  Y = eta + e.y, e.y~N(0, s2.y)
Model:
	  eta = a+b*xi

	  If I'm not mistaken, I believe that it is theoretically impossible to
estimate a, b, s2.x, and s2.y without additional information, like for
example the ratio between s2.x and s2.y.

LAGS IN BOTH TIME AND SPACE?

	  I've copied John Fox, the 'sem' package author and maintainer, on
this reply.  He might educate us both on how to include lags in both
time and space into an 'sem' model.

	  Failing that, are you familiar with Pinheiro and Bates (2000)
Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus (Springer).  This book and the
companion 'nlme' packages include facilities for linear and nonlinear
models in both space and time.  The follow-on 'lme4' package and
accompanying 'lmer' function will also handle non-normal response
distributions.  I'm a firm believer in trying the simple things first,
and I think the mixed-effects models are simpler than 'sem', though
Prof. Fox may wish to disabuse me of my ignorance on that point.

MORE HELP?

	  If you would like more from this listserve than just this, please
submit another post.  When you do, however, please include a simple,
self contained example to illustrate briefly what you want, what you
tried, and the deficiencies with what you tried, as suggested in the
posting guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves