[R] ols/gls or systemfit (OLS, WLS, SUR) give identical results

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jul 17 04:33:06 CEST 2006

	  I can't say without more information.  If the system were saturated
(i.e., has as many equations as unknowns), you should get the same
answer from all the different methods.  However, I just tried a
saturated model in 'systemfit', with the following results:

 > DF2 <- data.frame(y=1:2, x=3:4)
 > lm(y~x, DF2)
Call:
lm(formula = y ~ x, data = DF2)

Coefficients:
(Intercept)            x
          -2            1
 > library(systemfit)
 > systemfit("OLS", list(eqn=y~x), data=DF2)
Error in solve.default(sigma, tol = solvetol) :
	system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number = 0

	  If you'd like more help from this listserve, please supply a simple,
self-contained example to illustrate your question (as suggested in the
posting guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html").

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves

Mihai Nica wrote:
>    I might be sorry for asking this question :-)
>
>     I have two equations and I tried to estimate
them individually with "lm" and "gls", and then in a
system (using systemfit)  with "OLS", "WLS" and "SUR".
Quite surprisingly (for myself at least) the results
are identical to the last digit.

>     Could someone (please!) give a hint as to what
am I doing wrong?