[R] Hmisc xYplot

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jul 17 15:27:27 CEST 2006

Erin Berryman wrote:
> Dear R community,
>
> I am having trouble with a particular plot that I am trying to produce
> using Hmisc's xYplot function. I've been using primarily lattice and
> Hmisc packages for my plotting needs for the past few years, with great
> success.
> However, what I want to do now with xYplot is plot more than one data
> trend in the same panel, much as I would use xyplot from package lattice
> in conjunction with superpose, with type="b". My problem is I can't get
> the error bars to plot when I use xYplot this way. I've attached my data
> set for reference.
>
> Here are my inputs:
>
>  >p1sum<-read.csv(file="p1sum.csv", header=T)
>  >library(Hmisc)
>  >xYplot(Cbind(DRP, SE) + Cbind(Fe, FeSE) ~ Day | Group + Port,  p1sum,
> type='b')
>
> The plotted result is two lines per panel, one labeled "Cbind(DRP, SE)"
> and the other labeled "Cbind(Fe, FeSE). However, the error bars are not
> plotted at all (I want the error bars to be DRP +/- SE, and Fe +/-
> FeSE). Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Erin

xYplot does not accept multiple Cbind terms.  You'll have to string out
your data "tall and thin" to construct a single Cbind(Y, SE) and use
superposition with groups=.

Sometimes confidence intervals are better than using +-SE, which also
has the advantage of allowing the intervals to be asymmetric.

Frank