[R] sem: negative parameter variances

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jul 17 21:59:27 CEST 2006

Dear Denis,

I'm not in a position to comment on the spatial and time-series aspects of
the data, though I'd be concerned about treating the observations as
independent. (I understand that you have some way of accounting for spatial
and temporal dependence.)

Except for the allowance that you've made for cross-equation correlated
errors, this model could be fit by equation-by-equation OLS regression, and
in its current form could be fit by equation-by-equation 2SLS. That FIML has
run into numerical problems is a signal, however, that the combination of
model and data are ill-conditioned in some way.

The output is a bit hard to follow because, for some reason, the table of
parameter estimates, standard errors, etc., is ravelled in your email. Some
of the parameter estimates are apparently very small numbers (I'm not sure
why you're not seeing more significant digits in some values), and you might
be able to make the computations more stable by changing the units of some
of the variables. Eliminating the intercepts and working with the covariance
matrix might also make the problem better conditioned.

"NaN" stands for "not a number," and is produced here when the summary
method for sem objects tries to take the square-root of a negative variance;
consequently, the standard error, z-statistic, and p-value are all
undefined.

BTW, I count 15, not 13, exogenous variables (including the intercept).

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology