[R] Running R as root

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jul 18 13:36:37 CEST 2006

roderick.castillo at metanomics.de writes:

> Hello
> Using R v. 2.3.1 which I installed recently, when I start it as root, there
> is nothing
> I can do. I get "Error: function xx not found" even when trying to leave R
> using
> q(). R works fine when started by an ordinary user. I rechecked the root
> environment
> several times and even have set it similar to that of an ordinary user
> (values of
> PATH etc.) but nothing helps. Using the command "env" did not reveal
> anything
> valuable. Going to root through the identity of an ordinary user and
> retaining his
> environment by doing "su user" instead of su - user" does not help either.
>
> This does not seem related to the particular version of R.
> Using: Linux RedHat AS 2.1
>
> Any hint?

File permissions? (it is possible to set them so that files can be
read by anyone except the user...)

How exactly did you install R, and are there any other clues upon
startup?

I get, BTW

> aa()
Error: could not find function "aa"

so I suspect you paraphrased the error message.

One other thing that can cause trouble is networked directories. Files
that are physically on another machine can sometimes not be accessed
by root on the local machine.