[R] Output and Word

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 14:18:36 CEST 2006

If its text that you want included in a larger Word document
you can create a text or HTML file from R and then when inserting it
into Word insert it as a link rather than copying it in.

output a file from R
In Word
   Insert | File
   browse to the file so its name appears in the File name box
   click on the down arrow to the right of the Insert button
     and choose Insert as Link

If you regenerate the file in the future your Word document gets
automatically uipdated.

Another possibility is either the rcom and RDCOMClient packages
which allow one to control Word from R by treating Word as a COM object.
This allows detailed control of Word but is more work.  e.g. Here
we create a Word document from scratch.  Note that you must
be running Windows and have Word on the machine where you do
this:

library(RDCOMClient)
ow <- COMCreate("Word.Application")
ow[["Visible"]] <- TRUE  # optional
od <- ow[["Documents"]]$Add()

od[["PageSetup"]][[LeftMargin"]] <- 20
od[["PageSetup"]][["TopMargin"]] <- 20

od[["Content"]][["Font"]][["Size"]] <- 11
od[["Content"]][["Text"]] <- "Hello World"

od$SaveAs("\\mydoc.doc")
ow$Quit()