[R] R and DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 16:27:49 CEST 2006

You can access DDE via COM as in this example
which uses DDE to open an Excel file.  Note that
Excel also supports COM directly and normally
one would use COM with Excel, not DDE, so you
might check if your application also supports COM.

# opens an excel spreadsheet c:\test.xls using dde
library(RDCOMClient)
sh <- COMCreate("Shell.Application")
sh$Namespace("C:\\")$ParseName("test.xls")$InvokeVerb("&Open")

Also if you are going to access DDE via COM or just COM also
check out the rcom package which is similar to RDCOMClient.