[R] bilinear regression

Christos Hatzis christos at nuverabio.com
Tue Jul 18 20:07:40 CEST 2006

It appears that you might have a latent (hidden) explanatory variable that
causes the two-population appearance.  If you have some ideas on what that
other factor might be, you could try two separate linear regressions for
each value of the latent factor and compare the slopes and intercepts.  You
can then do some formal tests on the slopes and intercepts to see if you can
further simplify the model.  Depending on what you find, you can formulate a
linear regression model that incorporates such dependence on the slopes or
intercepts to fit the "bilinear" trend.

You might find helpful the discussion and example in Ch.10 of Venables &
Ripley, 4th ed, that introduces the concepts behind random and mixed effects
models.

-Christos

Christos Hatzis, Ph.D.
Vice President, Technology