[R] R-help in a newsgroup

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Tue Jul 18 20:45:36 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 11:30 -0700, Darren Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find a lot of the R-help email traffic overloads my inbox.  My IT
> managers are not really happy for me to be subscribed to several
> high-traffic email lists.  I don't want to lose my contact with the
> R-help emails, so I'm having to consider various ways of handling the
> traffic.  Anyhow, I'm wondering how many people on the R-help email
> list would prefer that most of the traffic were in a newsgroup?  In
> case your interested in that option, there is a group available at:
>
> The-R-Project-for-Statistical-Computing at googlegroups.com
>
> I think the subscription is through normal news group channels.  The
> google search services on this group are nice too.  This group is not
> divided into useful categories, like help, admin, develop etc., but
> it's not too difficult to create new groups for that.
>
> Best, Darren

r-help is already available with an NNTP interface at gmane.org:

  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general

There is also a web based interface, where you can see that your post is
already available:

  http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general

Similarly, r-devel is also present:

  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel

The Google group you reference is completely independent of the R e-mail
lists, whereas the gmane interface is synchronized with the R e-mail
lists.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz