[R] how to use large data set ?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Wed Jul 19 21:57:41 CEST 2006

You did not say what analysis you want to do, but many common analyses
can be done as special cases of regression models and you can use the
biglm package to do regression models.

Here is an example that worked for me to get the mean and standard
deviation by day from an oracle database with over 23 million rows (I
had previously set up 'edw' as an odbc connection to the database under
widows, any of the database connections packages should work for you
though):

library(RODBC)
library(biglm)

con <- odbcConnect('edw',uid='glsnow',pwd=pass)

odbcQuery(con, "select ADMSN_WEEKDAY_CD, LOS_DYS from CM.CASEMIX_SMRY")

t1 <- Sys.time()

tmp <- sqlGetResults(con, max=100000)

names(tmp) <- c("Day","LoS")
tmp$Day <- factor(tmp$Day, levels=as.character(1:7))
tmp <- na.omit(tmp)
tmp <- subset(tmp, LoS > 0)

ff <- log(LoS) ~ Day

fit <- biglm(ff, tmp)

i <- nrow(tmp)
while( !is.null(nrow( tmp <- sqlGetResults(con, max=100000) ) ) ){
	names(tmp) <- c("Day","LoS")
	tmp$Day <- factor(tmp$Day, levels=as.character(1:7))
	tmp <- na.omit(tmp)
	tmp <- subset(tmp, LoS > 0)

	fit <- update(fit,tmp)

	i <- i + nrow(tmp)
	cat(format(i,big.mark=',')," rows processed\n")
}

summary(fit)

t2 <- Sys.time()

t2-t1