[R] failed installing rgl

James Foadi jf117 at york.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 12:00:20 CEST 2006

>Subject: Re: [R] failed installing rgl
>Date: Friday 21 July 2006 10:08
>From: Prof Brian D Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
>To: James Foadi <jf117 at york.ac.uk>
>Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch

>On FC5:

>roc% rpm -q --file /usr/include/GL/glu.h
>mesa-libGLU-devel-6.4.2-6.FC5.3

>Do check what the R-admin manual says about -devel RPMs.

I have followed Brian Ripley advice to read the R-admin manual. In Appendix A
it is reported:

"Remember that some package management systems (such as RPM and deb) make a
distinction between the user version of a package and the development
version. The latter usually has the same name but with the extension `-devel'
or `-dev': you need both versions installed."

In fact file "glu.h" was not installed because only the user version of GLU
was installed on my system. Thus, I have downloaded the development version
of GLU (mesa-libGLU-devel-6.4.2-6.FC5.3.i386.rpm) and installed it.  After
that the package rgl has installed fine.

Thank you, Brian.

Dr James Foadi
Department of Physics
University of York