[R] unexpected results

nathan sirrahn at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 21 13:36:53 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm just learning R and am encountering some unexpected results following a
guide on the internet. If anyone can help that would be great - I think it
is something about the way the data has been read in!

I've read a coma delimited text data file that was saved from excel:

> jacs.data <- read.table("/Users/natha/Desktop/JACSdata2.txt", header=TRUE,
> sep=",")

This seemed to work fine, but then I start to get unusual results that don't
seem right:

The guide says that names(file.data) will give output like "ID" "JURIS"
"RESCODE" , but I get ID.JURIS.RESCODE.

The guide says that file.data[5,1] will give me the data for the 5th subject
but i get:
[1] 7\tACT\t\t\tSUMMONS\tACTCC321.001\tA.C.T. - MINOR THEFT (REPLACEMENT
VALUE $2000 OR LESS)\ etc - which seems scrambled

The guide says that file.data[var5>0] will give me the data for all subject
who meet that condition (ie greater than 0 on var5), but I get:

Error in "[.data.frame"(jacs.data, offend > 0) :
	object "offend" not found

can anyone help? Thanks nathan