[R] intersect of list elements

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 20:18:03 CEST 2006

The following assumes that within each component of vectorlist
the vector elements are unique. In that case the first two lines
define vectorlist and perform the grep, as in your post.  Elements
of the intersection must occur n times where n is the number
of components of vectorlist that match the grep and those
elements are extracted in the last line.

# from your post
vectorlist <- list(vector.a.1 = c("a", "b", "c"), vector.a.2 = c("a",
   "b", "d"), vector.b.1. = c("e", "f", "g"))
idx <- grep("vector.a", names(vectorlist))

# get intersection
names(which(table(unlist(vectorlist[idx])) == length(idx)))