[R] compile R with ACML support | RHEL 4

Evan Cooch cooch17 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 22 15:37:23 CEST 2006

Greetings -

I'm trying to compile R under GNU/Linux (RHEL 4) on a multi-Opteron box,
with ACML support.

First, I downloaded and installed ACML 3.5 - GNU version, although I'm
not entirely sure what the differences are - from the AMD website. The
ACML libraries were installed to /opt/acml3.5.0/

Second, I ran ./configure --with-blas='-lacml'

The configure went fine, except that at the end of the output, it
reports that readline is the only external library configured.

External libraries: readline

OK, so next, I try

./configure --with-lapack

Same think - only readline is referenced.

So, clearly, I'm missing a particular step. I'm guessing that I need to
change some environment variable (or two), or tweak something at some
other stage, to get R to properly reference the ACML libraries. I'm
puzzled why --with-blas='-acml' doesn't do the trick?

Suggestions? Pointers to the obvious mistake?

Thanks...