[R] randomForest question [Broadcast]

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Jul 26 16:23:18 CEST 2006

When mtry is equal to total number of features, you just get regular bagging
(in the R package -- Breiman & Cutler's Fortran code samples variable with
replacement, so you can't do bagging with that).  There are cases when
bagging will do better than random feature selection (i.e., RF), even in
simulated data, but I'd say not very often.

HTH,
Andy

From: Arne.Muller at sanofi-aventis.com