[R] Sweave and tth

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Jul 26 17:15:47 CEST 2006

Kuhn, Max wrote:
> Dr. Harrell,
>
>> I tried odfWeave to create an OpenOffice file and found that it
>> exhausted the memory of my large linux machine and took a long time to
>
>> run.
>
> Do you have any details about the problem that you encountered? A bug
> that someone else had pointed out might be the culprit. I have the
> default image format as png, but since a lot of linux systems don't have
> that device automatically available to them, I have a switch for the
> device in odfWeaveControl:
>
>  plotDevice = ifelse(.Platform$OS.type == "windows", "png", "bitmap"),
>
> The bitmap device units are in inches and the bmp device is in pixels.
> The bug is the default image size if 480 inches (whoops).
>
> Can you try using:
>
>   odfWeaveControl(
>    plotHeight = 5,
>    plotWidth = 5,
>    dispHeight = 5,
>    dispWidth = 5)
>
> in your odfWeave call and let me know if this was the issue? I was able
> to reproduce the error on our linux systems and this fix worked (strange
> that the package passes R CMD check though).

Max,

I should have contacted you first - sorry about that.  png is working
fine on my debian linux system, so I just ran

library(odfWeave)
odfWeave('/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/odfWeave/examples/examples.odt',

   '/tmp/out.odt',
   control=
    odfWeaveControl(plotHeight = 5,plotWidth = 5,dispHeight =
5,dispWidth = 5))

and it ran extremely fast, creating out.odt that loaded extremely fast
into OpenOffice writer, unlike the first out.odt I had tried.

If you develop a way to include high-resolution graphics that will be
even better.

I have updated http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/SweaveConvert accordingly.

> If this works, Section 7 of the odfWeave manual lists two command line
> tools (not included in my package) that can do the conversion from odt
> to Word (or other formats)

Excellent

Thanks!
Frank