[R] configure fails for R 2.3.1 on SunOS 5.8

Benjamin Tyner btyner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 23:14:38 CEST 2006

Thanks; configure completes succesfully using --with-readline=no.
However, toward the end of running make, it reports

mkdir ../share/locale/en at quot
mkdir ../share/locale/en at quot/LC_MESSAGES
  en at quot
you should 'make docs' now ...
*** Error code 255
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `R.1'
Current working directory ~/btyner/R-2.3.1/doc
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
building all R object docs (text, HTML, LaTeX, examples)
you need Perl version 5 to build the R object docs
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `help-indices'
Current working directory ~/btyner/R-2.3.1/src/library
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `docs'
Current working directory ~/btyner/R-2.3.1/src/library
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
begin installing recommended package VR

I do not have perl installed, as I thought one could install sans
documentation.

Ben