[R] Running R on a 64 bit processor

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 28 21:37:03 CEST 2006

Be careful not to use clock speed as a measure of computer performance.
Pentium 4s (and the comparable Xeons) were intended to be run very fast,
but never managed it.  So a 2.4GHz P4 proved to be slower than a 1GHz
PIII.

Unless you are running Windows 64, the chip having some 64-bit
instructions is irrelevant, and even if you were it is irrelevant to
binary builds of R for Windows (which will actually access less memory
than is possible under 32-bit Windows XP).

R runs large tasks much better under Linux, and there having a 64-bit CPU
and 64-bit OS pay off once you have 2Gb or more of RAM.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Lewis G Coggins wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We recently obtained a new computer in our lab with a Pentium 4 3.86 GHz
> processor and 4 gb of ram running windows xp with service pack 2.  After
> installing R on this machine, I ran a bit of code and found that the
> execution time was actually significantly slower than a machine running
> windows xp with an older Pentium chip 1.73 GHz and 1 gb of ram.  After
> speaking with the manufacturer of the new machine, I am told that the
> processor in the new machine is 64 bit whereas I believe the processor in
> the  old machine is 32 bit.  I have tried to sort through the
> documentation on the CRAN page relative to performance of R under the 32
> vs 64 bit sub architecture, however, I am no computer genius and find some
> of this stuff extremely confusing.

Well, it is under the Unix/Linux section, and you are running Windows
so it does not apply to you.