[R] Reading multiple txt files into one data frame

Kartik Pappu kartik.pappu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 03:16:51 CEST 2006

Hello All,

I have a device that spews out experimental data as a series of text
files each of which contains one column with several rows of numeric
data.  My problem is that for each trial it gives me one text file
(and I run between 30 to 50 trials at a time) and I would ideally like
to merge all these text files into one large data frame with each
column representing a single trial.  It is not a problem if NA
characters are added to make all the columna of eaqual length.  Right
now I am doing this by opening each file individually and cutting and
pasting the data into an excel file.  How can I do this in R assuming
all my text files are in one directory.

Is it also possible to customize the column headers.  For example if I
have 32 trials and 16 are experimental and 16 are control and I want
to name the columns "Expt1", Expt2",... "Expt16"  and the control
columns "Cntl1",...Cntl16".

Kartik