[R] manova and table of means by factor levels

Matthew Harbur mharbur at umn.edu
Mon Jul 31 03:58:54 CEST 2006

I am resubmitting my question from earlier today -- this time with the
proper plain text formatting.

I have a dataset in which I have identified a three-way interaction. Factor
A has 3 levels, factor B has 4 levels, and factor C has 3 levels.  I would
like to produce the following:

1) A manova in which I can test the effect of factor C for each combination
of factor A * factor B.  I know how to do this using a series of “do”
commands, but I wonder whether there is a more significant solution. For
other converts from SAS, I am specifically looking for the R equivalent of
the “by” command in PROC GLM.
2) Create a table of means that, for each level of factor B, shows the
interaction of factors A and C. Thus, I need to manipulate summary.formula
or another table-generating program to produce subtotals. If that is not
possible, is there another way to avoid generating and binding multiple
subsets into one table?

I have searched the R-help archives and the internet, but to no avail.  The
closest posting that I have found is:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/04/3239.html. Would someone please
help me?

Thank you.

Matthew M. Harbur
University of Minnesota Southwest Research and Outreach Center
23669 130th Street
Lamberton, MN  56152
(507) 752-5091 (office)
(507) 752-5097 (fax)