[R] nls model singular gradient matrix parametrization

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 08:03:02 CEST 2006

Your model is over-parametrized: d1*exp(-gt) gives two parameters for one
constant.  As a result, the least-square surface is flat in one direction,
and the gradient matrix is singular.

If this is the model you intended, you can simplify it by dropping d1.
It is also partially linear (d) so it should be possible to get
method="plinear" to work.

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Mihai Nica wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am having a very hard time with a nonlinear regression. The last chance is
> that maybe somebody can spot something wrong
 The data and the model are
> described below:
>
> number of observations = 3030
> y = [0,
,~16]
> D1969 = [.16,
,~70,000]

>> mod=nls(log(D1969)~d-log(1+d1*exp(-gt+g1*y)), start=list(d=11, d1=750000,
>> gt=14, g1=.9), trace=TRUE, data=pidg)
> Error in nlsModel(formula, mf, start) : singular gradient matrix at initial
> parameter estimates
>
> I ran several variants, changing the start values. However the graph with
> these starting values is almost identical with what is obtained with the real
> data (although it is rather nonlinear)
 I am missing something, but can’t

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk