[R] Table collumn to single var in lowcase

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 17:20:40 CEST 2006

Note that creating separate variables out of your data frame is
not really a good idea.  However, to answer your question:

# this puts it on the path
iris.lc <- iris
names(iris.lc) <- tolower(names(iris.lc))
attach(iris.lc)
search() # shows where its located
print(head(sepal.length))
detach() # get rid of it
search() # now its not there

# this puts them right in the global environment
for(nm in names(iris))
	assign(tolower(nm), iris[[nm]], .GlobalEnv)
ls()
print(head(sepal.length))
rm(list = tolower(names(iris))) # remove them

Also note ?with which is probably preferred:

iris.lc <- iris
names(iris.lc) <- tolower(names(iris.lc))
with(iris.lc, {
  print(head(sepal.length))
  print(head(sepal.length+1))
})