[R] speed?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 19:22:33 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Roger D. Peng wrote:

> Running on 64-bit per se does not make things faster.  In fact, from my
> experience it sometimes makes things slower.  The advantage with 64-bit
> is the extra address space for storing things in memory.

See the R-admin manual for some additional comments.  Certainly until you
use more than say 300Mb the extra overhead of 64-bit pointers is pure
overhead. (At some point nearer the address space limit you do GC a lot
more often on a 32-bit platform.)

> Of course, today's 64-bit chips are all faster than recent 32-bit chips,
> so you will get a speed improvement, but only because you're getting a
> better chip.

Not entirely true right now: some of the Pentium Core/Duo Core 32-bit
chips are competitive.  (Pentium M chips have often been very fast for
their nomimal clock speeds.)