[R] difference in behavior between batch and source

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 4 08:39:12 CEST 2006

There is a documented limit of 1000 bytes on R input lines.  You are
probably hitting it.  Try teaching your Python code generator to wrap
lines.

NB: input means input from the console or stdin, not to the parser.  The
front-end is asked for a line of up to 1000 bytes.  Some front-ends may
supply a longer line, but Rterm.exe will not.

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, markleeds at verizon.net wrote:

> Hi : I am using R 2.20 on windows XP and I have a REALLY
> long read.table statement because the col.names argument
> has 440 character strings in it. ( I use python to write R code ).
> When I run the read.table statement inside an R program
> ( the R program only consists of the read.table statement )
> using the source command in an interactive R session,
> everything works fine. But, if I take the same program
> and try to run it using R CMD BATCH program name ,
> the .Rout file shows me that the execution gets halted at
> one of the col.names arguments but there is no error message.
> it just says "execution halted".

Syntax errors in batch can do that for you.