[R] Nested and repeated effects together?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jun 7 03:01:05 CEST 2006

	  1.  Am I correct that you are asking for a 4-factor interaction
without a full set of 2- and 3-factor interactions?   SAS may let you do
that, but I'm not certain what that means.  The standard treatment of a
factor with k levels is to code it as (k-1) linearly independent
"contrasts" that are also linearly independent of the constant term and
then use ordinary least squares.  As long as standard rules of hierarchy
are observed, the resulting analyses of variance are independent of the
specific set of contrasts chosen.  However, when rules of hierarchy are
broken, the answers may change with different choices for contrasts, and
it's far from obvious what one is even testing.

	  2.  For these kinds of problems, I usually use "lme" in the "nlme"
package.  The function 'aov' is older, and its answers may not be as
good if the design is not balanced.  I've seen only one case where 'aov'
produced an answer that I couldn't get out of "lme", and that was a
saturated model in a perfectly balanced experiment where the noise was
estimated from higher order interactions.  For your case, I would
consider variations on the following:

	  lme(y~(Gr+Hemi+Region+Gender)^4, random=~1|ID)

	  This assumes that each level of ID is unique.  If not, I suggest you
make it unique by pasting it together with Region and Gender.

	  The construct (Gr+Hemi+Region+Gender)^4 indicates all main effects
and interactions up to the fourth order.  If you want, say, all main
effects plus the three factor interaction Gr*Hemi*Region, I believe you
could get that from "Gr*Hemi*Region+Gender":  the term 'Gr*Hemi*Region'
will force all the main effects an subordinate two-factor interactions
into the model.

	  If you don't already have Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects
Models in S and S-Plus (Springer), I suggest you get a copy.  Bates is
one of the leading contributors in nonlinear estimation and mixed
models.  The book contains numerous examples.  Also, R script files are
available for virtually everything discussed in the book.  This will
allow you to work the examples yourself one line at a time as you read
the accompanying discussion in the book.  To access them, find where R
is installed on your hard drive, then find "~\library\nlme\scripts".

	  Hope this helps,
	  Spencer Graves