[R] Building packages in R - 'private' functions

Dan Rabosky dlr32 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 7 07:14:23 CEST 2006

Hello.

I am creating an R package that I'd like to submit to CRAN (OS Windows
XP).  How do I distinguish among 'public' functions, e.g., those that are
intended to be called by users of the package and for which I am providing
documentation & examples, and 'private' functions, which are used
internally by the 'public' functions, but for which I do not wish to
provide documentation?  The private functions are all coded in R (nothing
in C or Fortran) and are essential to the operation of several public
functions.

I have been unable to find any documentation on this in the 'writing r
extensions' manual', on previous posts to R-help, or through any other
source.  One possibility is to include the source code for the 'private'
functions within the public functions.  However, since multiple public
functions utilize the same core set of 'private' functions, this seems
unwieldy and redundant at best.

If I simply include the source for the 'private' functions in the "R"
directory (without corresponding *.Rd and *.html documentation in /man),
then check the package with "R CMD check', it does appear to process the
private functions (and successfully builds with R CMD build).  However, I
do receive a warning for including undocumented code objects.  Is this the
recommended approach and/or is there a better way to do this?  One
potential problem with this approach is that - should an error occur within
a private function, it may be very difficult for the user to decipher the
nature of the problem.

~Dan Rabosky

Dan Rabosky
237 Corson Hall