[R] use of R in big companies (references) & R-support esp in Germany

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jun 7 17:34:59 CEST 2006

	  The best rebuttal I've heard recently to arguments like that is Linux
(www.linux.org):  It's distributed under the same general public license
(GNU) license as R.

	  A perspective that I don't recall having seen on this list is that
the cost of producing and distributing software has become too cheap to
meter, unless you want to charge for it.  Open source projects like
Linux and R (and Mozilla, Subversion, and others) were much more
difficult and less common before the Internet, just because the costs of
coordinating development plus producing and distributing the product
made such efforts much more difficult.  For a discussion of these
phenomena by two Economics professors at UC-Berkeley, see Shapiro and
Varian (1998) Information Rules (Harvard Business School Pr.).  A newer,
similar title by these same authors is "The Economics of Information
Technology";  I haven't read this newer book, but it looks like it could
be relevant also.

	  I mention this, because I suspect some of the opposition to open
source, "free" software is ideology:  Rabid capitalists refuse to
believe that anything free can be any good.  (We could talk about air
and water, but that might be a digression.)  Books like this backed by
solid research might help counter such opposition.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves