[R] Density Estimation

Pedro Ramirez pramirez379 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 7 19:54:32 CEST 2006

>Not a direct answer to your question, but if you use a logspline density
>estimate rather than a kernal density estimate then the logspline
>package will help you and it has built in functions for dlogspline,
>qlogspline, and plogspline that do the integrals for you.
>
>If you want to stick with the KDE, then you could find the area under
>each of the kernals for the range you are interested in (need to work
>out the standard deviation used from the bandwidth, then use pnorm for
>the default gaussian kernal), then just sum the individual areas.
>
>Hope this helps,

Thanks a lot for your quick help! I think I will follow your first
suggestion (logspline
density estimation) instead of summing over the kernel areas because at the
boundaries of the range truncated kernel areas can occur, so I think it is
easier to do it with logsplines. Thanks again for your help!!

Pedro