[R] simplier way to import txt time-series data

Jan Schwanbeck jansc at gmx.net
Wed Jun 7 21:24:37 CEST 2006

Hello much more experienced R-users,

I have got a txt - file which contains data formated like this:

YYYY MM DD HH  data1  data2 ... data31
2002 12 01 01 0.002 0.003 ... 312.0

The single columns are divided by at least one space.

Is their an easy and fast way to make R understand that the first 4
columns are year month day and hour  to recognize it as time series data.

The time series are not complete. Single hours could be missing.

Thanks a lot for answering my question. I just cannot believe that it is
a big problem for R to handle this clean format while it even imports
data from excel-files.

Greatings

Jan