[R] Reading in a table with ISO-latin1 encoding in MacOS-X (Intel)

Charles Plessy charles-r-nospam at plessy.org
Thu Jun 8 15:31:48 CEST 2006

Le Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 04:10:08PM +0300, Antti Arppe a écrit :

> Converting the the file from ISO-latin-1 to UTF8 (with Mac's TextEdit
> application)allows the file to be read in in its entirety, but still
> the Scandinavian character in the heading is coerced to a period '.',
> or two, in fact (i.e. 'miettiä' -> 'miett..')

Dear Antti,

I may be wrong, but the unicode accented latin letters are not encoded
the same on linux and macintosh. On linux, ä is ä, but on Macintosh, it
is "+a (please read the quotes as if there were an umlaut). Did you try
to just retype the headers with a macintosh text editor?

Good luck!

--
Charles Plessy
Wako, Saitama, Japan