[R] Re-binning histogram data

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Jun 8 17:51:35 CEST 2006

I would argue that histograms are outdated relics and that density plots
(whatever your favorite flavor is) should **always** be used instead these
days.

In this vein, I would appreciate critical rejoinders (public or private) to
the following proposition: Given modern computer power and software like R
on multi ghz machines, statistical and graphical relics of the pre-computer
era (like histograms, low resolution printer-type plots, and perhaps even
method of moments EMS calculations) should be abandoned in favor of superior
but perhaps computation-intensive alternatives (like density plots, high
resolution plots, and likelihood or resampling or Bayes based methods).

NB: Please -- no pleadings that new methods would be mystifying to the
non-cogniscenti. Following that to its logical conclusion would mean that
we'd all have to give up our TV remotes and cell phones, and what kind of
world would that be?! :-)

-- Bert Gunter