[R] Density Estimation

Pedro Ramirez pramirez379 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 20:31:26 CEST 2006

>In mathematical terms the optimal bandwith for density estimation
>decreases at rate n^{-1/5}, while the one for distribution function
>decreases at rate n^{-1/3}, if n is the sample size. In practical terms,
>one must choose an appreciably smaller bandwidth in the second case
>than in the first one.

Thanks a lot for your remark! I was not aware of the fact that the
optimal bandwidths for density and distribution do not decrease
at the same rate.

>Besides the computational aspect, there is a statistical one:
>the optimal choice of bandwidth for estimating the density function
>is not optimal (and possibly not even jsut sensible) for estimating
>the distribution function, and the stated problem is equivalent to
>estimation of the distribution function.

The given interval "0<x<3" was only an example, in fact I would
like to estimate the probability for intervals such as

and compare it with the estimates of a corresponding histogram.
In this case the stated problem is not anymore equivalent to the
estimation of the distribution function. What do you think, can
I go a ahead in this case with the optimal bandwidth for the
density? Thanks a lot for your help!

Best wishes
Pedro