[R] apologies if you aready received this ?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jun 8 20:45:52 CEST 2006

Seth Falcon <sfalcon at fhcrc.org> writes:

> <markleeds at verizon.net> writes:
> > Basically, I wrote a function called wait()
> >

> > wait<-function()
> > {
> > cat("press return to continue")
> > unix("read stuff")
> > }
>
> Is readline what you want?  See help(readline).

...and the generic issue here is that system() calls the system shell,
and if that doesn't know of a "read" command, you're up the proverbial
roof without a paddle.

If you really insist of unix() functionality, you need a Unix-like
subsystem. You could start by installing bash.exe and do things like
system("bash -c read stuff") but you'll soon realize that you also
need all of the programs that are traditionally available on Unix.