[R] X'W in Matrix

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 9 09:41:57 CEST 2006

On 6/9/06, Rafael A. Irizarry <ririzarr at jhsph.edu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have used the Matrix package (Version: 0.995-10) successfully
> to obtain the OLS solution for a problem where the design matrix X is
> 44000x6000. X is very sparse (about 80000 non-zeros elements).
>
> Now I want to do WLS: (X'WX)^-1X'Wy
>
> I tried W=Diagonal(length(w),w) and
> wX=solve(X,W)
>
> but after various minutes R gives a not enough
> memory error (Im using a 64bit machine with 16Gigs of RAM).

That's an interesting question, Rafael, and very timely.  I happen to
be visiting Martin Maechler this week and he mentioned to me just a
few minutes ago that we should add the capability for sparse least
squares calculations to the Matrix package.

Just for clarification, did you really mean wX = solve(X, W) above or
were you thinking of wX = crossprod(X, W)?

I would suggest storing the square root of the diagonal matrix W as a
sparse matrix

> w <- abs(rnorm(88000))
> ind <- seq(along = w) - 1:1
> W <- as(new("dgTMatrix", i = ind, j = ind, x = sqrt(w), Dim = c(length(w), length(w))), "dgCMatrix")
> str(W)
Formal class 'dgCMatrix' [package "Matrix"] with 6 slots
  ..@ i       : int [1:88000] 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...
  ..@ p       : int [1:88001] 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...
  ..@ Dim     : int [1:2] 88000 88000
  ..@ Dimnames:List of 2
  .. ..$ : NULL
  .. ..$ : NULL
  ..@ x       : num [1:88000] 0.712 0.989 1.032 0.348 0.573 ...
  ..@ factors : list()

(The 1:1 expression in the calculation of ind is a cheap trick to get
an integer value of 1 so that ind stays integer).  Now you should be
able to create wX <- W %*% X and wy <- W %*% y very quickly.